SEM or SEO? WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE?7, May, 2019
Search Engine Optimization is doubtlessly an essential marketing strategy for brands to grow their business. But it can be a tougher one to manage if we don’t know how to compare SEM and SEO. Here, we are going to give you a clear idea about the terms SEM and SEO, and which one to choose for your brand.
Any tactic that helps a brand to get attention by appearing on SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages) can be referred as Search Marketing. There are 2 major categories within this.
- SEM – uses paid strategies
- SEO – uses organic strategies
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization or SEO uses ORGANIC tactics to gain visibility in SERPs, instead of paid methods. SEO tactics prompt search engines to show their content near the top of SERPs and the result is authoritative. The hundreds of SEO tactics help a brand to increase their search rankings. These are grouped into three.
- On-page SEO – optimizes each individual page of a website to target a specific keyword and appeal to search engines (includes keyword research, content creation and keyword optimization).
- Technical SEO – optimizes the non-content elements of a website and the website as a whole to improve its backend structure and foundation (site speed, mobile friendliness, indexing, crawlability, site architecture, structured data, and security).
- Off-page SEO –builds a website’s reputation and authority by connecting it to other high-quality websites (through link building).
|THE COMPETITION IN YOUR INDUSTRY||A lot of competition for your target keywords||A lot of organic content gaps to fill|
|YOUR FAMILIARITY WITH YOUR MARKET SEGMENT||Don’t know it well and want to test your idea or product||Already know it has long-term value and demand|
|YOUR CUSTOMERS’ AVERAGE BUYING CYCLES||Customers typically know what they want, search for it, and buy it immediately||Customers research for days, weeks or months before buying|
|AVERAGE COST-PER-CLICK IN YOUR INDUSTRY||Low and within your budget||Very high|
|HOW OLD ARE YOUR BUSINESS AND WEBSITE||New and little to no online presence||Established and already have some online authority|
|CURRENT SEO STATE OF YOUR WEBSITE||Needs a lot of works to improve||Already fairly optimized and currently performing well|